How to Beat a NYC Parking Ticket for "No Standing-Bus Stop"
Larry's Blog has received a rash of questions about NYC parking tickets for violating Code 19: No Standing-Bus Stop.
- Can I be issued a NYC parking ticket when I only stopped in a bus stop zone to drop off or pick up a passenger?
- How do I know the length of a bus stop? I was parked far away from the bus stop sign?
- Can I look for a yellow painted curb to designate a bus stop zone?
The NYC parking rule
Violation Code (VC) 19 prohibits:
Bus Stop: Standing or parking where standing is prohibited by sign, street marking or; traffic control device
Traffic Rules, Chapter 4-08(c)(3) states:
No person shall stand or park a vehicle orther than an authorized bus in its assigned bus stop when any such stop has been officially designated and appropriately posted except that the operator of a vehicle may temporarily stand therein for the purpose of expeditiously receiving and discharging passengers provided such standing does not interfere with any bus about to enter or leave such zone
Here's my take on the subject:
- You can beat a bus stop ticket if you are dropping off or picking up a passenger.
- Don't expect to find a yellow curb to indicate a bus stop zone. That would be too easy
- The parking signs on the block hold the secret to the length of a bus stop zone. There must be at least one official NYC parking sign that designates the beginning of a bus stop zone, with an arrow indicating the direction(s) of the bus stop zone.
- There does not have to be a second bus stop sign to indicate the end of the bus stop zone. If there is not a second parking sign anywhere on the block in the direction of the arrow(s) on the bus stop sign, the bus stop zone ends at the corner.
- The bus stop sign regulates the portion of the block in the direction of the arrow until the next NYC parking sign. The bus stop zone ends at the next NYC parking sign.
- If the one official bus stop sign has arrows pointing in both directions, then the bus stop zone goes in both directions until you reach another NYC parking sign or the end of the block.
[Editor's note: NYC buses are 40-45 feet in length]
A bus stop in NYC can cause some pain in the pocketbook. How many of you are old enough to remember the Hollies song about love at a bus stop? Enjoy the music.
Please share your experiences with NYC parking tickets for bus stop violations. It will help all of us.
Learn more about how to beat a bus stop parking ticket, and valuable information on fire hydrant violations, and the 3 No's (no stopping, no standing, and no parking). Please, don't park in NYC without it! Simply click on the button.
If you found this article helpful, you may wish to share it with your friends. Simply click on the above social media buttons of your choice. Thanks, Larry